For context, this essay was originally written for a small group of weekly Church goers, ages 60 and up, who wanted to learn more about why younger generations are no longer attending Mass at high rates. The parish is wealthy and mostly white, so this is the audience the article is addressing. It is a list of some of the biggest turnoffs to the Catholic Church and recommendations to address them.
Turn-off: The Church only seems to talk about abortion. Other issues that cause extreme suffering and/or threaten human life such as refugees, the Iraq War (we know now, a…
Conflict minerals are sought-after natural resources that are mined in conflict zones then sold to fund violence and war. Conflict minerals are found throughout central Africa — and likely in your cell phone, laptop, car, jewelry, etc. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, a country in central Africa, conflict minerals have fueled the First Congo War (1996–1997) and the Second Congo War (1998–2003), the world’s deadliest war since World War II. Though neither of the wars nor conflict minerals have gotten the press they deserve, CBS addressed how the Second Congo War was funded through sales of gold, and…
My name is Corinne Shutack, and I graduated from the School of
Education in May 2004. My sister graduated from Newhouse in May 2003,
my brother graduated from Newhouse in May 2002, and my brother-in-law
graduated from the School of Management in May 2002. We’re a Syracuse
Those two videos were such a kick in the gut. …
Many people’s lives have been saved by seat belts since these laws went into place in the late 1960s. Many people’s lives have been saved by drunk driving laws since these laws went into place in the late 1970s. Many people’s lives have been saved by smoking restrictions since these restrictions went into place in the mid 1990s. We can’t seem to get a handle on the gun thing, though.
In October 2006, I was traveling in another country. As the sun was setting on a gorgeous day, I hopped in a small van to head home. 20 minutes into…
“This country, with race, with everything, we won’t look at it, but we have to look at it, because that’s the only way we can heal it. Then you get to move on and be free. But people are so scared of looking at it.”
“Courage is the most important of all the virtues. Because without courage, you cannot practice any other virtue consistently. … It is only with courage that you can be persistently and insistently kind and generous and fair.”
Patriarchy tells all women what they should think, do, or feel. White feminism tells…
2. Look at the available plans for each company by clicking on the links above to view each company’s plans or by using the cheat sheet (last updated September 12, 2020) for wind and/or solar plans below:
3. Identify your current kwh (kilowatt-hour) unit price by going to page three of your Pepco bill. Under “Supply Charges,” there is a sentence, “Based on billed use, your average annual price to compare is X…
2. Look at the available plans for each company by clicking on the links above to view each company’s plans or by using the cheat sheet (last updated September 12, 2020) for green plans below:
For the following areas, use these cheat sheets :
For all other areas, follow these steps:
2. Look at the available plans for each company by going to the company’s website, entering your zip code, and selecting for wind/solar plans.
3. Click on plans that are “wind,” “solar,” “green,” and/or “renewable energy.” For plans that are labeled as…
2. Look at the available plans for each company by clicking on the links above to view each company’s plans or by using the cheat sheet (last updated January 20, 2021) for wind and/or solar plans below:
Working towards a world where pain and suffering isn’t caused by a fellow human. Twitter @corinne_shutack